Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The mural...

This past March, the awesome Gabriola "Village Liquor Store" moved to a new location in the mall. The new space is really awesome and grand and allows for that "boutique" feel. While they were still in dreaming mode, I put a bug into the owner's ear..."why not have a mural on that big upper wall? That would be way cool! Clint has always wanted to do something on a big wall...hmmmm." :o) And it all began...Michael Brown, you made a wise decision getting Clint to do the work. It is amazing! So, not only do they have the best wine, beer and awesome liquor selection on the island...they also have the coolest looking interior a liquor store could have.

I enjoy watching Clint create images on canvas...the process is very cool. Transforming a conceptual sketch into a wicked painting is an amazing talent...wish it were mine! ;op At least I get to witness the madness of creation. I documented as much of this whole process as possible. He worked always at night...for the most part, I stayed home, in bed! Every morning we would go to the Village and I would see the work that he had done the night before. The mural is 20' x 15'...it's a party! (a responsible party) ;o)

It all began with a sketch! Gridding the sketch allowed Clint to then be able to sketch it out on the HUGE surface of the high wall. He was also 20' up on a scaffold. (Clint does not do heights...well, he does them...it just ain't his favourite place to be.) We got together with friends and took pics of a round table get together with some fine wine and beer. Hmmm...can I find that photo? Oh yes, here it is! ;o)


It definitely changed from this..but the feeling is there. (look how cute Mariko is!) Photo taken at Feedlot Studios...lots of creativity happens in that place let me tell ya!    

The chalked sketch...now we are talking! (I helped him with the chalk grid lines...yes I did. Up there on the scaffold, holding onto the end of a chalked up string...I did well! lol) Clint and Michael admiring the chalk drawing the next morning. ;o)

Contrast blocking has begun. It is starting to take shape now...life is starting to come out of the mural. (taking this pic was a feat. There was a 8" board going from the scaffold to the overhang above the door. It was shaky...I was shaky. It was high up...I was high up! I am definitely not a fearless child anymore. But getting over there made for a good shot with the artist and the beginnings of his masterpiece.)


Adding in the shade colour. (I just love watching the image grow. It's crazy on such a huge level like this. I have never watched a mural from start to finish. There is a ton of work involved...especially on sch a massive scale. What an amazing project this was. And with a fabulous outcome to boot!)







From the last photo to this one was an 8 hour stint. Clint always says..."I know it doesn't look like I did much. Can you see the changes?" duh...of course I can! I can't imagine being up in the air painting one solid colour, let alone a massive painting. I find artists funny. I suppose that is why they are deemed crazy most of the time. For they truly are! ha ha ha!




Bring on the colour!! These people look like they are having more and more fun all of the time. It's like the movie 'Pleasantville'...they enjoyed life more once they got into techni-colour. (as you can see, half of the scaffold is missing. A challenge for Clint. As they were doing finishing touched on the actual store...his scaffold set up kept changing each day. Yet, he still managed to get the work done despite any obstacle thrown at him. It was like a 10 day challenge!)


It's almost done...wow! Just some finishing work...small details that need to be ironed out with "The Man" Michael! (I liked that the beer bottle label said 'Drumbeg Ale'. It does not exist...but it looks pretty cool. VLS wanted it to be a beer that they actually sold in store...yeah, makes sense. ;o) But I still like the Drumbeg!)





Done!! Wowzas! 10 days...blank wall to superb mural. You can't help but notice this amazing installation the moment you walk through their doors. We are told that it brings in a million smiles each and every day. (well...maybe not a million...our population is about 5000! ha ha ha!) Kudos to you Clint and your hard work. You make it look so effortless. You are one talented artist! (so where will the next mural be?) :o)

Here is a little side pic. I just think it is absolutely hilarious. And this is where the idea for the "big mouthed" woman came in...thanks to moi of course! hee hee hee. Oh the fun times we have in our household! (the animals must just laugh at us!)

1 comment:

  1. thanks so much for sharing the process...it is amazing....i had no idea about all the steps involved...of course i knew it was a ton of work, just not the details....fab mural, fab painter, fab documentation of it all....xoxo
    super groovy....

    tammyxoxo

    ReplyDelete